Our Tasting Room and Wine Production space is LEED Gold certified. It is the first of its kind in Loudoun County and the second in Virginia. Our construction photo gallery documents the building process. Please feel free to contact us at email@example.com to arrange a tour of the facility. We are always happy to answer questions regarding being green and the LEED process.
Please feel free to also contact our Architect, Builder, LEED Commissioning Agent, Contractors and Tradesmen, and Materials Vendors directly. We highly recommend them. Our building is working out marvelously for us and they all did a great job at bringing our dream of a green, eco-friendly wine facility to fruition. We thank them all from the bottom of our hearts!
Building Facts and Figures
- 5600 sq. ft.
- August 2010, construction started
- March 2011, building opened to customers
- Single story, 2×8 advanced framing, 12 ft. high walls in tasting room and 14 ft. high walls in winery
- 4 inch concrete slab with 2 inch greenboard insulation underneath
- 22kw photovoltaic solar system on south facing roof
- highly insulated building envelope: R39 walls, R51 ceiling
Gretchen Coleman, PE, CCP, CxA
Gretchen Coleman Commissioning Group, LLC
1911 Memorial Ave SW, Roanoke, VA 24015
LEED Building Features
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) provides verification of green buildings via the Green Building Council. Our green features include:
- Our 22kw solar array. We are 100% solar powered and actually sell our excess electricity back to the grid for credits. Our solar panel monitor is on display for the energy curious. More info on our Solar System can be found here.
- Local, reclaimed, recycled, and sustainable building materials and decor, including our reclaimed wood tables, bar, and mantle; our bar top made with recycled wine and beer bottles; bamboo flooring; and our fireplace made with stone from the Shenandoah vein.
- Highly insulated building envelope with highly efficient heat pumps for HVAC
- Low VOC building materials, including paints, sealants, and adhesives.
- Plenty of natural daylight to increase worker and patron happiness and decrease energy use.
- Sustainable, non-toxic cleaning supplies.
- Sustainable landscaping using native plants, designed by the Loudoun Master Gardeners.
- A smoke free environment, inside and out, to insure good air quality.
Solar System Design and Installation
All Site Work, Driveways, Grading
R.E. Mills Excavating
Septic System, Electrical Conduit Trenching and Installation
Standing Seam Metal Roof, Flashing around Solar Panels
Enviroglass (Recycled wine and beer bottle countertop)
Cali-bamboo (Hardened bamboo flooring)
Datile color: coastal azule, terrain marrone, (bathroom, bar area, kitchen, entry-way ceramic tile)
Dow Structured Insulated Sheathing (SIS) (Seal and insulate the building envelope, alternative to plywood/ty-wrap)